Thursday, October 18, 2007

What makes a book a good "book-club" pick?

Rae, I've been thinking about your old book-club in California. You said a while back that you were disappointed in many of their book choices. I know you're planning on, or currently reading Twilight to keep up with your old book-club.

It just so happens that our ward book-club read Twilight last month for book-club and this month New Moon and Eclipse of the series. Although I really enjoyed reading them, I can't see what there would be to discuss in a book-club setting. It seems to me that there are many books that are enjoyable to read that are not particularly suited for book-club discussions.

Anyone else feel this way? Any thoughts on what makes a book good book club discussion material?

On a side note, I love that we don't have to think about that very much. I love sharing what we read through our book blog here and that these considerations don't have to be quite as important as they would be in a sit-down book club where we all read exactly the same book and then discussed it.

I think the most memorable discussion I participated in (of the few...) was when we read Dr. Laura's The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. (Every time I think of that book I think of Rae's reaction to the title, like they're pets...) Our book club at the time had a very good discussion on that book. For those of you that haven't read it, I do recommend it.

0 Comments: