Wednesday, October 17, 2007

First Nights and Marching Band Blues

I always enjoyed being a member of a band, wether it be symphonic or jazz, it was just a great experience. (Now, marching band is another subject completely, I hated those cold nights on the wet field! Not to mention those dumb uniforms...) I relish the mastered piece the most - getting there was not always so fun, but to be a part of a group of students all working together to create art; to see so many people work in unison always gave me hope and a sense of belonging. It was especially rewarding when we first preformed our work infront of an audience and it sounded good, even great.

That is why when I saw "First Nights - Five Musical Premieres" by Thomas Forrest Kelly it intrigued me. What also intrigued me was that it had never been checked out of the library. My good friend Richard has a phobia of libraries and germs on books, so I thought of him as I picked it up - it is a "fresh" book with not sooo many germs on it. He would be proud. But he still wouldn't touch it. Anyway, the book focuses on the first performances of five famous musical compositions: Monteverdi's Orfeo in 1607; Handel's Messiah in 1742, Beethoven's Ninth Symphony in 1824; Berlioz's Symphonic fantastique in 1830; and Stravinsky's Sarcre du printemps in 1913. It is an indepth look - Kelly paints each scene in detail writing about the cities in which the preformances took place, the people, the conductors, the musicians, the concert halls, the auidences, and the responses to it. Pretty indepth I'd say. I am reading about Orfeo at the present and I must admit that I didn't know it was considered the first great opera - even though I took Music 101 at BYU. It (Orfeo) definitely has an interesting story.

Anyway, that is my pick for the month of October. I am also currently enjoying the books Rae passed on to me of Louis L'amour's - I'm sure I've probably already read them in the past - but they are just good fun, Warren is reading them too and is enjoying them as well.

In answer to your question about Brier Rabbit, I think I do remember being read to from that book - I will check when we go down to Lakewood this weekend for my mom's birthday. I'll let you know - then maybe we can share it around.

Lulu, in answer to your question, my favorite book is "If You Want To Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit" by Brenda Ueland. The reason it is my favorite book is because it is the biggest pick-me-up book there is out there and has been the greatest encouragement to me when I begin to create something new - the author knows how to show you that you have something special to share and gives many tips on how to share that something special and not be presuaded by doubts. Grandma has read it and loves it like I do -I recommend it to everyone!!!

Well, I am still working on Jennica and Lynness... Hope you all have a marvelous week!
Love ya all,
Sam

0 Comments: