Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thots.

I know I've said it many times before, but I so enjoy reading about your reading! The variety of subject matter and titles intrigues me...we are all so different in spite of our similarities.

Lulu...I've been looking through my 2007 book annotations to select a favorite for the year. I've read a lot of really satisfying non-fiction this year, but have not really found a GREAT fiction book (other than HP). Some years are like that. I've read a lot of entertaining westerns and mysteries this year. But I will share two non-fiction books that were favorites.

On the Ridge Between Life and Death: A Climbing Life Reexamined is by David Roberts. In his memoir Roberts recounts his life of climbing mountains and tries to explain why he still climbs in spite of witnessing the death of friends on the expeditions. I love to read books about people who take life or death risks...probably because I have no desire to take said risks. I prefer to to live a quieter life and do my risk-taking vicariously. Nothing any climber has ever written has convinced me that the joys of success outweigh the chance of death. I guess some personalities really crave that kind of rush!

The other book I just loved this year is The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words of Less. I think I shared this with some of you when we were in Utah for Qait's wedding. Blake and Mim were telling me recently how much they enjoyed reading it also. It's a sweet memoir by the daughter (Terry Ryan) of a mother who was able to keep the family afloat by writing (and winning) product phrases and jingles. One thing I loved about the family was how loving they were despite a lot of dysfunction. It's a funny, touching and uplifting read. I think any of you girls would love it!

Sam...so good to have you "here." I don't doubt that any one of us could write a book if we set our minds to it. For me, it's always the dilemma of time, the right season, my environment and the desire!

My October read (Musicophilia) arrived this afternoon. I'm anxious to get into it. I adore everything Oliver Sacks writes. I will report back in about a week. Until then, as always...

Happy reading!

0 Comments: