Saturday, October 20, 2007

I have read...

a couple of the titles Lynness refers to and can comment on them, Abby. (BTW--can you send her an email about how the blog and group works? And set up the feed she needs? I would have no clue how to do it!)

I loved Born on a Blue Day which is about a young man with high-end autism who has synesthesia. He sees people and numbers as colors. The condition is intriguing and the book is quite compelling. I rather enjoyed it. We also watched, as a family, the 60 Minutes interview with him.

I have browsed the Ken Jennings book in the store, trying to decide whether I should plunk down the money or not. I ultimately decided not too. It seemed fun but too fluffly for my funds. If I had a library copy, I would definitely read it.

Kingsolver's book is great...it's about living and eating local and homegrown food. I was kind of depressed though because at the time (in Lancaster) we had very little access to the kinds of homegrown food she is talking about in the book. She lives in a part of the country where things seem to grow spontaneously and every shares what they farm. It's a little easier here in Utah to find that stuff...and when I can find it I buy it. We have a great orchard nearby and a couple of farmers markets that are fun. Fresh apple cider in the fridge right now! And homegrown Jonathan apples! Yum

I stayed up very late to watch Kingsolver on BookTV a couple of months ago. She had a multimedia presentation of her concepts about food and was very funny and engaging. I've met her twice and pretty much adore her...even though we differ greatly on many social issues.

Welcome, Lynness...I know about the trials and tribulations of dial-up. Now that we are online, I don't think I could ever go back!

Happy reading!

0 Comments: