Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Good Earth

Wow, I finished my September read (yesterday) and it was amazingly insightful for me. I understand so much more now about how life in China was before the revolution. At the same time, I almost can't understand it, because I don't get how those women could go on being "slaves" all the time! I think I would just explode!!

I really really like the way Pearl S. Buck writes! I found myself phrasing my thoughts throughout the day as she would write. A lot of her phrases reminded me of the scriptural and older language patterns. Thus, henceforth, even "it came to pass," shall, etc. I liked also the "Well, and" used so often at the beginning of sentences. And "Now here's a thing."
Also, I liked how matter-of-fact she was. If I were writing about those things, I would have a hard time not inserting more opinions into it, I think.

I have to confess that I feel very sad for O'lan--and still do!! I actually thought she might end up feeling loved by the end, and that she might feel lovable. But it's so complicated, isn't it . . . all around her thought of her as a slave and she as a human being with needs was ignored in so many ways. Pat and I were talking the other day about Johnny Lingo, for some reason, and Pat said that he found it hard to believe that Mohanna, from Johnny Lingo, would change quickly and automatically into a very different person immediately after being paid for with 8 cows. The movie sort of depicts the change as very fast. I guess he's right--she would have had a lot of emotional baggage, probably!!

I also have to say that I was very very mad when Wang Lung took the pearls from O'lan. I put my book down for a moment and groaned!

Interestingly, I was reading some of the Isaiah chapters while reading The Good Earth, and I made a lot of comparisons. The chapter in 2 Nephi that talks about the women with their rings and nose jewels and all that made me think of the harlots in the Great House, etc. And the rich getting too rich and the poor getting too poor made me think about the pride and humility cycles we all go through.
I also think farming is very cool! And I think I have a new appreciation for the earth.
I still think about the book a lot. I am grateful I could read it and read it with some of you. I had wanted to read it since Mom recommended it to me years ago.
I am still sad for O'lan, though!!
Liz

0 Comments: