Wednesday, October 24, 2007

LULU

Lynness's words & November books

If you're curious about how I've headed this post, I just had an idea I wanted to ask everyone about. I've been starting to read our posts, then having to quickly scroll down to clarify whose post I'm reading. So I was thinking that maybe we could head the post with our names, and then put your post title in the actual post itself? It's really just something that would make it easier for me, but if no one else wants to do that, I don't mind! Just a small matter of convenience.

Like Abby & probably everybody else, I've been mulling over Lynness's words since I finished reading them. It started an interesting discussion with Phill, who, as odd as it may seem to us bookworms, does
not read for pleasure. We were talking about why he doesn't care to read, and he was saying that [aside from his having something akin to dyslexia--he often gets ahead of himself and switches words or letters around] he has a very hard time visualizing (and retaining) what he's reading. For him, it really is a chore. When he does read, he likes to read self-help or church books. So for him, reading is very practical. He has to feel that it's productive for him, in other ways than imagination. An interesting thing to note, though, is that he really likes for me to read to him. And, like Aunt Rae, I love to read aloud....the sound of well-written words is as beautiful to me as the sound of well-written music. (If not more.) And when I'm reading to Phill, he's hardly picky at all regarding the genre. He doesn't actually care for mysteries, because he figures them out on the second page. And he can't stand so-called "chick lit". (Which is fine, because, generally speaking, neither can I.) I have read aloud to him The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (Rae, I'm jealous that you met her. I read her books slowly because I dread the moment when I've read all of them, and there are no more left.), Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza, and portions of a few others. It's something we both really enjoy! He seems to be visualizing just fine when he's hearing the words, as opposed to looking at them. I tend to be mostly an auditory and visual learner--I remember best the words I've read when I read them out loud to myself. Kate and Maddie used to walk into the room and just stand at the door and listen as I read to myself (for school studying purposes) in various voices and personalities, and then they would burst out laughing when I paused, which always startled me. On the same note, but in a different measure (sorry, that was cheesy....couldn't resist), I know that I subvocalize when I read. But when I get really into the book, I either stop subvocalizing, or I just don't notice that I'm doing it anymore. I read fast when I like what I'm reading. *By the way, Lynness, I really enjoyed your post, especially when you wrote about reading the scriptures as a family, and how that has benefited all of you! I'm happy you're "here".*

I have picked a book for November already. I found a book award for foreign fiction authors, the name of which I don't know. But I'm sure you can find what I'm talking about if you google "foreign authors of fiction". My book choice is Vienna by Eva Menasse
(translated from German by Anthea Bell). Its description was short, since it was listed amongst a few other awarded books: "a part-Jewish family's adventures during the second world war and its aftermath in Vienna and England." There was also a book listed that is a fictional account of Marie Curie--if anyone is interested, its name and author are: The Story of Blanche and Marie by Per Olov Enquist (translated from Swedish by Tina Nunnally). Now, since I've listed all I know about these two books, if anyone has anything to say about them--be it good or bad--feel free to let me know!




0 Comments: