Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Thots about subversive literature

If you aren't habitual readers of Lulu and Abby's personal blogs, you should be. I love knowing what they are up to! I also enjoy the pictures they post of their little ones. Abby recently posted a very funny taking apart of the fairy tale Little Red Riding Hood. It made me laugh outloud.

I remember reading a book by Alison Lurie called Don't Tell the Grown-ups: Subversive Children's Literature. It had a chapter specifically on fairy tales and the stories behind the stories. She also has written a book called Boys and Girls Forever: Children's Classics from Cinderella to Harry Potter which I have perused. I also remember learning about the Brothers Grimm and how their so-called fairy tales were really politically motivated social statements. You might want to take a look at these books, Abby. And I'm sure you could find other titles.

Does anybody know where I can find the old Brer Rabbit stories...still written in dialect? I want to share them with Bill. All I have been able to find so far are the rewrites...not near as fun. I remember fondly the times when Miriam would read those stories to us in the dialect. She did each character in a different voice and we loved it. I think she was actually reading to Beccy but Matt and I always listened in! I read somewhere that even those stories have a story...everyone says they are not politically correct [did you catch what Elder Scott had to say about that at conference? Great stuff!]...anyway, what I read said that Brer Rabbit represented the slave and Brer Bear and Brer Fox were the plantation owners or overseers. As you know, Brer Rabbit always wins through his trickery...so even those stories were subversive statements of the day.

Abby, my old book group in Lancaster is reading Twilight for their October read. I picked it up and will give it a try. I don't know that I'm into vampires, though. I think it's an odd subject for an LDS writer to focus on. I told the ladies that I would try to continue to read with them via email. We'll have to see how that works.

I have extended another invite to Samantha (and through her to Jennica). I hope they will join in our little circle. I love you all and enjoy "listening" to what you have to say re your reading lives.

Happy reading!

0 Comments: