Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rae: Wow, Lynness, What a Post!

I was most intrigued with what you wrote in your two recent posts. It made me analyze, yet again, my own feelings toward those of other races. It's an ongoing thing...I do it every so often to see if I have improved at all. I say improved because, yes, I am prejudiced in many ways and have a sincere desire to see all people the way the Savior does. But I don't. Yet.

My experience with blacks in school was in the Northwest, where they blended in nicely with everyone else. I don't remember too much in the way of racial difficulties in my junior or high schools. I had black friends. I was also chased and beaten up by a black girl. But I don't think it had anything to do with her race. Or mine. She just happened to be that color. I don't recall any black teachers, either. Your experience on the east coast was far different than mine.

Then I moved to Lancaster and basically lived in a mini ghetto. The blacks there seemed to have a real attitude of entitlement with everyone else owing them something. Whereas before I had no feelings one way or the other toward them, after a decade in CA, my attitude had really changed. I don't know the reasons (or the answers) why more blacks in my city seemed to be involved in crime, drugs, dysfunctional families, and gangs. I just know that I got really tired of it and it made me much more aware of my own "whiteness."

Then I acquired a black son-in-law. How I love him! I am able to talk to him openly about some of these very issues. I found that he doesn't particularly like the aspects of his black culture that bother me the most. He has been good for our family. We've talked about the difficulties our grandchildren could have being half-black and half-white. I appreciate the fact that he is open to conversation about race. Incidentally, do you suppose so many people like Obama because, although he is black, he doesn't fit the average stereotype? And I heard a poll saying that quite a large segment of the population still will not vote for a black man for President. Amazing.

My feelings toward Hispanics have moved in the same direction. I want so much to love them. But I often don't. I get tired of their seeming unwillingness to assimilate and learn English. Much of our increase in crime in Utah involves their presence. Why do fifteen Hispanic people have to live in the same house on my street? I know I don't love them like the Savior does. But I want to.

I think one of the great benefits of the Book of Mormon is to show us how to love one another as He does. To feel as if there are no "ites" among us. I do know that for the most part, when I deal with other races on an individual basis, I have no issues with them and often learn so much. It's the whole group mentality thing that gives me the greatest difficulty. It often shames me but it is what it is. For now.

Making the decision to go to Japan was difficult for me because of preconceived notions about Asian people. Scary to think I could feel this way in 2007. But it is so. I felt as though I had nothing in common with the Japanese (or other Asians). No place to start. But I received two wonderful blessings before I left and had some personal (and quite spiritual) experiences in Japan that were just for me...tender mercies from a loving Lord who knew what I needed. My feelings have changed and I have a love for the Japanese people. I can't begin to explain how...it's too personal. But it's happened.

I think the Church can open doors for us in that way. And I think that if our ultimate goal is to love people individually as the Savior does then he will help us move in that direction according to his timeline and our desires. At least Isaiah will be surrounded by those of different races where he is. He can learn to love individuals for who they are despite what their race's behavior in general might be. I think not having more diversity can cause problems too. A most interesting post. You always provoke my thoughts! Thanks...and happy reading!

0 Comments: