Friday, July 25, 2008

My July Reading

In preparation for our trip to July, we read several books as a family. I read to the boys before we read our scriptures each night. Depending on what we are reading at the time, the scriptures come as a relief! We read Hiroshima by John Hersey, Japan Made Easy, and A Glorious Way to Die which was in preparation for a museum trip in Japan. My personal reading included Confucius Lives Next Door by T. R. Reid (I would recommend this to anyone...Gpa loved it!), Shutting Out the Sun by Michael Zielenziger, The Sushi Economy by Sasha Issenberg, Nine Who Survived Hiroshima and Nagasaki by Robert Trumbull, The Battle for Okinawa by Hiromichi Yahara, and Japanland by Karin Muller. Now that we are home, I am reading another book outloud to Ivan on the battle of Okinawa as well as continuing to read books about Japan. I'm hooked. What a wonderful culture, country and history. It's filling a hole in my education! And needless to say...none of my schoolwork for BYU got done in the month of June or July.

As far as my local history read goes...my book is on the way. It's the new one on the Mountain Meadows Massacre by Richard Turley, a church historian. I have been waiting six years for it to finally be published and it's supposed to be the end-all book on the subject. I have read everything I could find on the massacre and am really looking forward to this read. I will have to reward myself with personal reading time as I get my homework done each day!

The post separately I will assign in August for a read. I know that makes no sense...but Mim will understand it as that's how most signs in Japan are translated into English!

Happy reading!

0 Comments: