Monday, July 7, 2008

Lynness: June read

Well, I haven't decided what I'm reading this month (really I just
haven't had long enough at the library to find something- I need to go
without kids if I want to hit the non-children's section books for any
real length of time), but we enjoyed "Babe the Gallant Pig" and
"George's Marvelous Medicine" and now we're working on "James and the
Giant Peach."
These books seem about the right level for Isaiah (actually, he read
all of George's Marvelous Medicine to us) and not too long but
thoroughly engaging. The time we've read together (just the 2 of us,
although Nathan has listened in occasionally) has helped us get closer
and given him some of the 'only child' type attention he was so used to
for so long before Ruth. We're going to keep doing this morning reading
through the summer. We'll see how it works for the school year
schedule. We always tried evening before, but that usually didn't
work. We'd say "Hurry up and get ready for bed so we have time to read
before 7:30!!" But I believe firmly that anyone between the ages of 2
and about 7 (and probably older- like 17- I just haven't gotten there
yet) does not understand the concept of HURRY. We rarely got to read
with that method.
Hope y'all are enjoying summer!

0 Comments: