Monday, January 26, 2009

Lynness: My January read

Well, I haven't actually read my January picks yet, but I have requested a few books and am eagerly awaiting their arrival at the library.

**Can I say that I just LOVE being able to browse our library system's extensive holdings via the 'card' catalog online and read reviews and summaries and then request that books be sent to the library branch of my choice and then return them to any branch!!!**

ANYWAY...I thought about a few of Rae's ideas like Garrison Keillor, Dave Barry, Douglas Adams- but they can all be just annoying if you aren't in the right mood; or Roald Dahl and Piers Anthony, both of whom I have read, but never really thought of as 'funny'...I do like Bailey White- I have Mama Makes Up Her Mind (and Other Dangers of Southern Living), but I wanted something different still.  So I decided to try The Egg and I (which will also work for February, but I don't know that I'll be able to find the movie...it's not something Blockbuster would be likely to have) and then I started thinking about how I've missed Mary Roach's articles in the Reader's Digest.  I decided to see if she had written any books and, lo and behold, she has!  I have requested Stiff- about human cadavers, decomposition, etc. and Spook- about the scientific search for the afterlife.  Yes, these are supposed to be funny books.  And, according to the reviews I read, seem to deliver.  I think these will work for me- the subject matter (at least for Stiff) is right up my alley, and her style (based on her RD articles) resonates with me.

0 Comments: