Friday, January 9, 2009

Rae: Think Outside the Box Perhaps?

Lulu: Maybe try a Redwall novel (Brian Jacques) or an elementary Star Wars novel. Those might be less intense and scary and more in line with Reed's interests. I know we talked about animal stories too...try Old Yeller (which is intense emotionally, but not too scary) or Charlotte's Web (which still makes me cry). And even something funny like the Captain Underpants books might work. I loved reading The Best Christmas Pageant Ever and Best School Year Ever to our kids. They were a mixed bag of ages at the time. And don't be afraid to make those librarians do some readers' advisory there in St George. That's what they are supposed to be doing!

Even though they tend to appeal to girls more, I agree with Abby that the Little House books might work for Reed. Especially if you can link it with some Dixie church history. I also remember my mother reading me some great stories about Joseph Smith when I was about Reed's age. I loved the story about his leg. Reed might really respond well to a story that is true rather than one that plays so much with his emotions and imagination. Just some thoughts...

Happy reading!

0 Comments: