Thursday, January 8, 2009

Lulu: Help?

For a humorous read this month, Abby suggested P.G. Wodehouse to me. I will definitely check that out at the library, but I was curious if the rest of you have any funny suggestions, too. I just finished re-reading the entire Harry Potter series, which was lovely to escape to (again). I'm now reading The Host, which I like infinitely better than the Twilight series.

I'm having issues finding something to read aloud to Reed each night. We have read: By Roald Dahl: The BFG; The Witches; The Minpins; George's Marvelous Medicine; Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator; part of Matilda and part of The Twits; Fantastic Mr. Fox. Also: The Tale of Despereaux (a junior novelization); and part of Inkheart (which I decided might be scary for him, as he is really responsive to suspense and I could actually hear his little heart thrumming away next to me one night while I read). The issue I'm having is that the books are either too old, too young, or we've already read them! Out of no other choices on my bookshelf, I started reading the first book in A Series of Unfortunate Events to him tonight, but it was definitely too scary for him. We started reading Stuart Little, but I found myself totally bored, yawning, annoyed by the wordiness, and wondering why I had ever read it and enjoyed it. (Reed was also incredibly bored by it, and was rather dismayed that a book about a talking mouse wasn't more interesting to him.) I think we'll see if the library has The Mouse and the Motorcycle, but at the moment, that's all I can think of to read to him. (Rae, didn't you suggest that to me?)

Rae gave me the coolest book to look at--The Barnes & Noble Guide to Children's Books. It has been helpful, but not as much in this particular vein. (Stories to read out loud to Reed at night....) It has plenty of suggestions for chapter books that he himself would read, but very few as far as me reading to him. He has plenty of picture books and a few chapter books, and basically many books overall. Many classics, as well as a hefty helping of oddball gems.

Anyway, I might be really over-thinking this, but I was just curious to see what response I could get from sending out a little S.O.S. to this oh-so-literate family of ours. :) I'm not AS concerned with hard words or long sentences or advanced reading levels as I am with subject matter. (We did start reading the first Harry Potter, but after 3/4 of the way in, I stopped, noticing that Reed seemed a little shaken by the story in general. He's not fragile, but he is extremely imaginative, and I could see the detailed scenes unfolding in his mind while I read. That can be great and worrisome at the same time when I'm selecting subject matter.)

0 Comments: