Friday, January 9, 2009

Abby: Read-alouds for Lulu

If you can find The Mouse & the Motorcycle at the library, get it! Or buy it if you can. :) The girls loved that one. The girls like I, Houdini but it was a chore for me to read. I think I mentioned this in my post about I, Houdini.

Of the ones Lynness mentioned, we have read:
The Cricket in Times Square -- we all loved it
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe -- we all loved it, and we read it a few years ago actually, I think Autumn was 4. She still remembers quite a bit. I think we'll re-read it so we can move on to Prince Caspian. (They've also now seen the movie The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and they make it almost all the way to the end before losing interest.)
Little House in the Big Woods -- the first in the Little House on the Prairie -- we just started this one and Autumn is excited about it. She is especially excited that it's a true story.
The Wizard of Oz -- we are on chapter 6 of something like 12? They love this one too!

We have also read the first, second, and third (I think!) books of the Series of Unfortunate Events. That was a couple of years ago, definitely while we were still in Utah but I can't remember when exactly. Some of them we actually listened to on CD in the car. I discovered the girls were scared too. They knew it wasn't real, they know the difference between fiction and non-fiction, but they wanted to keep hearing the story -- they liked being a little scared! ;)

We started Alice in Wonderland but haven't finished it yet...can't remember why we put it down. We probably just got distracted. But the girls were enjoying it.

Also, Autumn loves to read The Magic Treehouse books. She reads them on her own, but I read the first one to her the summer before kindergarten and she's loved them ever since. You might find it a little less fun for YOU in the reading aloud department (some imperfect grammar usage...), but I'm sure Reed would love them.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas to run with.

0 Comments: