Sunday, January 25, 2009

Raehink: My funny reads for January

I just finished four amusing reads for the January assignment. Three of them are by the author Celia Rivenbark. She is a newspaper columnist and lives in North Carolina. Her claim to fame is simply being a slightly tarnished Southern belle. I read her trilogy of silly essays called Bless Your Heart, Tramp, We're Just Like You, Only Prettier and Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank. They were just what the doctor ordered, although they do contain a smattering of four-letter words and a little scatological and slightly naughty humor. I just wish I had experience living in the South so that I could appreciate her words even more.

My fourth read was delightful and would make a good read for a book group. It's called A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel. Kimmel grew up in Mooreland, Indiana and was raised a by an "unbelieving" father and Quaker mother. She tells about her idyllic childhood in a small town with lots of eccentric characters. I am looking forward to reading her other book titled She Got Up Off The Couch and Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana. Any of you girls who wish to write or record family history would benefit from reading this author. I was extremely satisfied with her words.

Happy reading!

0 Comments: