Thursday, February 5, 2009

Lynness: nothing REALLY funny

Well, I have appreciated being over the I-have-to-nap-every-day part of my pregnancy, which means my seminary lessons are better prepared and I have some time to read again.  I read Stiff and Spook and am still trying to get through The Egg and I.  I thoroughly enjoyed Stiff and think that many of you might, or maybe I'm just weird: "Techniques in Human Dissection" was one of my all-time favorite classes- I have fond memories of dissecting for hours with friends while listening to "The Princess Bride" soundtrack ('this is where they're dueling at the tops of the Cliffs of Insanity!") or books on tape.  It also always made me hungry.  Spook wasn't as good- it was still well-written, with the author's characteristic style, but the subject matter was just too hokey for me most of the time.  I did laugh out loud a few times in each, mostly at the author's way of putting things and her asides to the reader.  But the books weren't the 'ha-ha' funny I hoped to find sometime in January.  Neither was The Egg and I.  In fact, I don't find it remotely funny and hardly amusing.  Reading it is like having one of those days where everything goes wrong and you just want to cry, and you end up consoling yourself by saying that it will be funny to look back on after a few years.  It still isn't funny, it just seems desperate.

0 Comments: