Monday, April 7, 2008

Rae: April Read Etc

Oh, how I love you ladies!

Wasn't conference wonderful. I think it was the finest one I can remember in over a decade. I can echo Elder Holland's testimony and witness of seeing and feeling the prophetic mantle fall upon President Monson. Our stake president had challenged us in ward conference, two weeks ago, to pray for a witness of him as a prophet. We did so as a family, but quite honestly I didn't expect anything to happen because I already felt that I had a witness of him as a prophet. When Elder Uchtdorf (isn't he wonderful?) began to tell a little of the historical significance of the sustaining process, I was overcome by emotion and just really struck by the grandness of the whole thing. It was a really sweet experience. I won't go any further, since this is after all a public blog, but just wanted y'all to know that I know he's a prophet of God. I can hardly wait for the talks to come out in the Ensign! FYI: Annie is in Hinesville now and was thrilled to be able to watch all four sessions.

Another FYI: the version of "Hie to Kolob" we heard is in the old (pre 1985) hymn books. It was the version I grew up with before it was replaced by the Ralph V Williams music. I really like it. The man who wrote the music was the first tabernacle organist. Also, Sis Tanner's parents are Richard and Barbara Winder. She was a general RS president when I was in college, I think. Or high school. Does anyone know who Chery Lant's parents are?

Enough of the conference tidbits. My April read will be The Westing Game. I know that most of you have probably read this already. Maddie and Chela begged me to read it and I never took the time. So now I will. I was surprised by how many of the books on the list I had already read. And how the subject matter and types of books have changed over the years. I'm sensing that y'all are having fun reading over the list too.

On a side note to Abby and Lulu: Goodreads.com is addictive and I'm just having too much fun with it! I think I have all but the most of my books online now. I still keep track of my books manually (mostly because I enjoy doing it) but it's nice to have a third backup! I think we should all be linked to it! Thanks for inviting me to be your friends...

Happy reading!

0 Comments: