Saturday, April 5, 2008

Beccy on poetry

Leslie Norris is a favorite poet. I took a beginner poetry class from him at BYU. Isn't that remarkable in an of itself? I marvel when I think of the wonderful minds that BYU has exposed me to. Including Mack Wilberg and Ronald Staheli in the music world. But I digress. (Already!) Anyway, I was looking online for some of his poetry that I could share, and found a quote by him to share, instead. He said in an interview,

"Poetry is a useless craft really. You don't make any money. But it's a great craft. You create worlds. The Scottish word for poet is 'maker.' So is the Greek word."

I thought that was a non-pretentious comment. An it's an attractive idea to me that a poet creates a world, even if it's a small poem-world.

In looking through favorite poems of mine, I realized that I have many favorite poems, but not many favorite poets. Usually, like Lynness or Rae said, there is just one or two of a poet's poems that really speaks to me.

If I can find time to do it, I will post a few short favorites or excerpts later.

0 Comments: