Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Lynness: May (April) read

    I browsed through the 641.5's at the library yesterday to come up with something for my May read.  I wanted it to be more than a cookbook- I have enjoyed (and recommend) "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle"  because of the story line along with scientific side notes and recipes.  I wanted something similar- recipes that have a connection to a story.  I picked up and put back many things and finally found Hallelujah! The Welcome Table by Maya Angelou.  I read the whole thing yesterday.  It was a series of vignettes all connected to food; after each she shares the recipes.  I'm not sure which recipe I'll try: I think I would like to go outside of my normal eating experience and maybe try something creole or moroccan-based, but then after a lot of effort I mightn't like it and there are some sumptuous southern comfort-food recipes that, while not exotic or haute cuisine, I think I would really enjoy.
    I also reserved a copy of Deceptively Delicious at my library- I had heard of it before and Lulu reminded me of it.  I do some things already- add carrots or spinach to Vita-Mix smoothies, or a pureed paste (Vita-Mix again) of veggies and beans and wheat to my meatloaves, but I wouldn't mind getting more ideas.  Happy reading and eating (they go together quite well)!

0 Comments: