Sunday, December 30, 2007

Lynness: December and onward, and a radio show you might want to try

Mim, I never did read that story- I checked our library system and
it does not own a copy, and I dislike reading on the computer screen.
Besides all that I had to stop everything I was reading for about 2 1/2
weeks to get through Isaiah's Christmas Party (sorry "Winter Party"!!!)
at school (I'm room parent), making gifts (I made 18 items this year),
getting things ready to send off to the the Left Coast (as my dad calls
it) and getting Ruth through a very nasty cold and ensuing double ear
infection.
Anyway, so once Christmas was over I started where I left off around
the first week of December. I finished "Seeing Voices" (about ASL and
the Deaf) and "An Anthropologist on Mars" and am currently reading
"Uncle Tungsten," all by Oliver Sacks. This is generating a lot of
discussion with Nathan, who has recently started listening to "Radio
Lab," a show on a New York NPR station he gets over the net. They cover
topics from "Sleep" to "Mortality" to "Time," etc., and have guest
speakers, one of whom was Oliver Sacks!! I want to start listening, but
I don't think my connection will do it. If you are interested- and I
think some of you will be (I'm getting to know you all better through
this, too! Especially how much I have in common with Abby), just Google
radio lab.
As far as immigrant nonfiction, I don't have any personal
recommendations, but I'll keep my eye out...perhaps I'll try something
about the present immigration issues as my January read.

0 Comments: