Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Rae: Non-fiction

I learned to love non-fiction when I started reading it for the same reasons you want to, Liz. I didn't particularly like reading it for school classes and only became enamored with it when I looked for books that revolved around things I was personally interested in. I had interests in lots of history, medicine, horse racing, ships, animals, and the Old West. I just looked for books that fit the bill!

The non-fiction being written for the masses today is quite a bit better than in the past. It's much more readable and approachable. I can recommend some favorite authors of mine and you could just look at their books in a library or bookstore to see if anything fits your interests.

Try Simon Winchester, Daniel Boorstin, Bill Bryson, David McCullough, Oliver Sacks, or Neil Postman for starters. They specialize in history, travel, medicine, and social commentary.

I find that I read almost more non-fiction as I age than fiction. And the fiction is more genre and more for entertainment than anything else. I am often dissatisfied with much of the contemporary fiction. I LOVE NON-FICTION. Here's hoping you'll hop on board!

Happy reading!

0 Comments: