Saturday, December 29, 2007

Rae: Shotguns and Submarines

I spent the month of December reading a bunch of Louis L'Amour western novels so that I could pass them on to my father-in-law for Christmas. He asked if I had any around the house (if he only knew!) and I was able to scrounge up a dozen or so for him. We had an enjoyable Christmas in Coronado. It was great to see the ocean again and to be in a little warmer weather. I was able to walk every day (and somehow I found myself at the local bookstore at one end of those walks...) and the boys (we had Duran with us) were able to shoot and fish and relax. I missed the snow in Payson, though. It didn't really seem like Christmas without it!

With Duran here, the conversation turned to his nuclear assignment on board the attack submarine Norfolk. He got me interested in a couple three books. One is a history of submarine espionage. Another is about the first nuclear accident (which happened in Idaho Falls). And the third is The Hunt for Red October, which I have seen many times on film but have never read before (that I remember, at least). So I've been knee deep in shotguns and submarines this month.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and that you are rejuvenated for the new year. I love a new year...new lists, new routines, new goals, and renewed hope and faith. We are blessed simply to be alive!

Happy reading!

0 Comments: