Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Various Items

Welcome Mim! We hope Maddie joins us too. The more the merrier. I will be keeping track of your choices in my Moleskine notebook (I am addicted to them) for posterity's sake. Ha ha.

Lulu: I believe Every Secret Thing was written by the mother, Patty, rather than the daughter. It was published back in 1982 and tells the story of her kidnapping by the Symbionese Liberation Army. I was a teenager then and remember the media hooplah well. It would probably be really interesting from a psychological point of view. Her daughter, Lydia, is a model and rising socialite, but has not written a book...to my knowledge. Let us know if this is the book you choose.

Beccy: I need to finish my degree first! I actually applied for a school library position several years ago, took the test, and was not hired...they hired in-house as so often happens. I would love to teach English or History but not here. I also don't know if I would enjoy all the politics and credentials stuff that goes along with teaching. Perhaps I will sub in a small town somewhere. Who knows...

Why do they make becoming a teacher so difficult when the need for teachers is so great? When I dropped Bill off at school today he saw that his homeroom teacher, Mr. Byar, was in the parking lot. Bill adores him and Mr. Byar has been out for months with cancer. Bill couldn't get out of the car fast enough, yelled his name and threw his arms around his teacher. It made my day (and probably the teacher's too)! That's what teaching should be all about!

If nothing else, this blog is a wonderful forum for us to discuss our reading and to keep in touch with one another. I feel closer to all of you already. The wonders of the technological age...

For those of you who know Don Norton, I am taking an English Usage class from him this term. What a fun man he is...we have emailed a few times. Has anyone else taken a class from him?

0 Comments: