Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Another Proxy Post for Mim/Mom

Well, soon enough I'll be in Japan and able to figure why Mom/Mim hasn't been able to post blogs in anything but JAPANESE. Until then, here's her latest post.

Hi All y'all! I'm sure enjoying my book, Lucile Tate's bio of President Packer. What a difference a good biographer can make, because this is so much more enjoyable than a couple of other biogs of GA's and it's not because the subjects aren't good. Another reason I'm enjoying it so much is that he's just Dad's age, so I've lived much of the history that's described. I feel like I have so much in common with him, and yet I'm in such awe of him. The timing of reading this is perfect; I've just been sustained as Relief Society president in our branch (!) and I'm inspired by President Packer's very focused approach to his service. It's easy for me to be overwhelmed and try to do everything all at once. He discovers the Lord's will and patterns by studying the Doctrine & Covenants. Funny, that almost seems like a novel idea to some people.
About Catch Me if You Can--Maddie and Blake read it a few months ago and enthusiastically shared stories with me. Yes, Abby, I think he must've gotten a rush out of duping people. Interesting that he changed. It's scary that people can fool us so easily. I remember the Readers' Digest story about the English professor who actually could not read and no one knew it. I also thought of Frank Abagnale (of Catch Me) when I had Maddie at the doctor's office and the doc said something pretty questionable followed by some comments about appendicitis with gestures toward his left side. Kind of raised the hair on my arms . . .
Must comment on other reads--Beccy and Rae H, I'm about a third of the way thru You Can Never Get Enough of What You Don't Need (haven't started the peculiar people one yet) and I, too, love her frankness and cut-to-the-chase viewpoint. Will be interested in the Harold Bloom book about reading because I really liked Arthur Henry King's Arm the Children and his encouragement of significant reading. Man's Search for Meaning seems like one of those really worthwhile books, Liz and Beccy . . . When I read it I felt like everyone ought to read at least one such book--like The Hiding Place or Elie Wiesel's Night. Blake doesn't think so highly of it as he does of The Hiding Place because the message of forgiveness doesn't seem to come through as clearly, which he thinks is due to Frankl's Jewish eye-for-an-eye mindset. But it changed my life for the better.
Sure is fun to think of all of us reading. Love you each--Mim/Mom

0 Comments: