Sunday, October 26, 2008

Lynness: Scary read...

I jumped online to do some scripture cross-referencing for my lesson tomorrow and saw that there was a post on the book blog: it's been very slow there lately- part of that is me, so I thought I'd take a minute to post. I did read The Positronic Man and thought it was somewhere between okay and good. I realized at the end that the Robin Williams movie "Bicentennial Man"- (or something close) must be based on that. Did anyone ever see that? Is it worth watching? I also read Ringworld and wasn't impressed. For October, I decided to get 50 True Tales of Terror on the basis that I'd rather read something awful that's true rather than made up. I don't need any more scary images crowding my head, especially ones made up just to scare, but I figure that history, at least, can be learned from (hopefully) or help ensure that some people didn't die in vain. I didn't read all 50 stories, but I read a good portion. The stories were varied, including conditions in Jewish ghettos in Poland in WWII, earthquakes in South America (in which a graveyard was torn open and bodies were ejected and rained onto the streets of the city below), stories from the American West in the 1800's, stories of bloody ascensions in Southeast Asia, and a description of the murder of Rasputin, etc... I also checked out a book of ghost stories from the greater Richmond area. (There are 5 volumes of VA ghost stories and several volumes on particular areas, like Richmond, or types of ghosts, like Civil War.) I was hoping for at least a good story, but these were very prosaic. Maybe around a dying campfire on a chilly night around 11pm...

0 Comments: