Friday, July 13, 2007

Re historical fiction

Abby's post addresses a quite controversial aspect of historical fiction--can we fairly portray "real" people in fiction? I recently read an essay on that very subject. The authors of the essay were trying to define the genre of historical fiction. The consensus was that if the author used fictional characters within a specific historical setting, it was ok. Even if there were actual historical figures in the background, it was ok. What was not ok was taking a historical figure and making them fictional and the main character as well. I don't know that I totally agree with that definition. But it's a real issue in some academic reading circles.

I also love historical fiction and I have the same problem as Abby. I prefer the setting to be historical with fictional characters. I don't mind a reference or two to actual figures, but I dislike it when an author "fictionalizes" an actual person. But I have also read some wonderful fiction books about real people. I think it really depends on the author and his/her ability to pay respect to the historical character.

I remember reading a book on Sacagawea when I was in high school. I felt like I had to finish it (and it was a FAT book) because it was a borrowed book and the lender wanted to talk about it after I read it. I hated that book! The author had made Sacagawea into a contemporary character and even included smut scenes for her. Lewis and Clark are heroes of mine and I know quite a lot about their trek, so that particular book was painful to read. I felt like the book did them all a disservice.

I'm really glad that you are thinking hard about this choice. I thought I had made it easy for everyone by simply selecting a historical setting. But one of the reasons I wanted to do the blog in the first place was to make the selection process as intriguing as the reading. So many people don't know how to select a book!

Have you ever read Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes? I love that book! It's one that slips by many people but is on almost all the grade school reading lists. It should be easy to find and is a quick read. You might also check out the author Ann Rinaldi. She writes historical fiction for older teens. Her books are often about real people, but she writes so well that it doesn't bother me. She has written several within the selected time frame, including one about Paul Revere's daughter.

Have fun in your searching and as always, happy reading!

0 Comments: