Thursday, July 19, 2007

2 Booky Items

The link below will take you to a fine article on the Harry Potter phenom. It tells of a literary critic's Down Syndrome boy and how the HP books helped him progress in his limited understanding. I thought it worth sharing:

www.thecommonreview.org/fileadmin/template/tcr/pdf/berube61.pdf

(or go to www.thecommonreview.org and scroll down until you see the article mentioned)

Abby, I noticed on your personal blog that one of the books you have on your list to read soon is The Historian. I just started it this week. I read Dracula just a year ago or so and purchased Historian in an airport. It was put on a bookshelf and forgotten about. Then, while packing up some books, I found it and decided now was as good a time as any to read it. Had I been really on the ball, I would have remembered that Harry Potter #7 is coming out Saturday and I have first dibs on it in our house. I guess I'll be reading a lot this next week. Plus, I am finishing up my read for our book group!

Anyway, so far the book is great! I am really enjoying its tone. Dracula was just creepy enough to keep me from reading it for many years. This one has that same feel to it. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Happy reading!

0 Comments: