Thursday, March 11, 2010

Lynness: Feb, March

Well, I re-read the first Norby book, to see what I thought of it now and to preview it for Isaiah.  I had read it in elementary school (since I couldn't find anything from my teenage years that I loved that I don't still occasionally re-read) and wanted to see how it compared.  Predictably enough, it was shorter in length than I remembered and not quite the brilliant fiction I supposed it was then.  But it was still a decent read and Isaiah absolutely loved it.  So, I went online to reserve the second book.  The library, strangely, has books 1, 3 and 5.  His school library (which is where I found them when I read them- different school, same county school system) doesn't have any.  Hmmm- birthday present??  But then I'd have to get #1 also.  Are they THAT good??  Still undecided.
I did have one laugh-aloud moment while reading this book: the main character's name is Jeff Wells.  His brother's name is Fargo.  I think they even list his name as "Wells, Fargo" at some point in the book.  Completely missed that when I was a kid.  Of course, I probably didn't know what Wells Fargo was, then.  And, if I did, I probably wouldn't have picked up on it, given the way I read.  (Same with the Jasper Fforde Thursday Next books- never noticed anything odd about Commander Braxton-Hicks' name until Nathan pointed it out, but I did get Millon de Floss, though not on the first go-round).
I think for March I'll get some picture books I loved as a child to share with my kids.  Three of us had piano lessons one after the other, so there was always waiting around time while the others were in lessons at our teacher's home.  I spent them (after quickly practicing what I hadn't that week on the keyboard-with-headphones conveniently located nearby) reading everything on the bookshelf.  There were lots of lovely and memorable books- I'll have to see if I can find any of them in our library.

0 Comments: