Monday, February 22, 2010

QAIT: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

Have any of you ever read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke? I feel a little guilty because I haven't finished it! I LOVE IT, but I'm hardly halfway through! I think we moved in the middle of my reading, so even though it got put away on the shelf in plain view, I never picked it up again. Kind of sad.

Michael loved it. It's about magicians in perhaps the 1800s, and the author makes it seem like historical fiction with footnotes and a few real events thrown in...it starts with some people discussing magicianry and how it's really just a fun hobby of tricks and things...but then there's one person who believes it's far more than tricks, so he seeks the training of a reclusive man who can perhaps teach him to be a real magician.
I really, really like it... but I kind of feel like I have so many books to read, I wonder if I want to dig that one out of the basement. Have any of you read it? Do you like it? I wish I could better tell you to read it. I mean, if I'd finished it, I'd totally tell you you HAVE to read it. But I can't well do that right now! :D

0 Comments: