Monday, April 27, 2009

Raehink: May Reading

I'm really pleased that Annie is taking the opportunity to read Mere Christianity with her Hinesville book group. It's a wonderful read. Kind of tough in spots to work through, but filled with little nuggets of gospel truth. Musing about C.S. Lewis got me thinking about our group...


So...For the month of May, your assignment is to read a non-LDS religious book of some sort. I'm hoping you'll choose something non-fiction, but there's plenty of good religious fiction out there to dabble in if that makes you more apt to read along with us. Most good libraries have booklists of religious fiction.

The subject matter is up to you...Browse through the religion shelves (200s) at your local library if you have no idea what to read. I'm sure you'll find something interesting and worthwhile. It can be quite rewarding to look for gospel principles and truths in literature about/from other faiths.

Just to give you an idea of how wide this subject matter can be, here are some titles on my shelves (I will be choosing from one of these):

  • From Jesus to Christianity: How Four Generations of Visionaries & Storytellers Created the New Testament and Christian Faith (White)
  • Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up: A New Look at Today's Evangelical Church in the Light of Early Christianity (Bercot)
  • Eating Your Way Through Luke's Gospel (Karris)
  • The New Oxford Annotated Apocrypha
  • Confessions (St Augustine)
  • The Whimsical Christian (Dorothy Sayers)
  • What is a Jew? (Kertzer)
  • Olives: The Life and Lore of a Noble Fruit (Rosenblum)
  • The Joyful Christian (C.S. Lewis)
  • Pontius Pilate (Wroe)
  • Luther (Oberman)
  • Catholic Customs and Traditions (Dues)

If I have that many on my limited religious shelves, imagine what titles your library will have!

This will give me a much needed chance to read something from my own shelves. And hopefully, each of you will find something unique to share with us. Annie, you can count Mere Christianity for this group, if you'd like. Like I make up the rules...

I know this is a long post, but I want you ladies to know how much I enjoy reading about your reading! It keeps us in touch with each other, but it does so much more for me. I haven't found anyone in Payson (other than Maren and thank goodness for her!) who enjoys to read like I do. Sometimes I long to just sit down with someone and talk books! Knowing what you are reading allows me to do that vicariously! So, thanks.

And for anyone who might be interested in what books I take the time to read, I have started a book blog. It's nothing remarkable. In fact, it's really just a more personal extension of my Goodreads reviews. Take a look if you are so inclined.


And, as always...

Happy reading!


0 Comments: