Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Annie Delights March and April reads, even though Annie Delight doesnt feel like reading!!

For those of you who don’t know Ro, my Hub left on Feb 25th for Iraq. Wanting to stay in the spirit of reading during all my stress I chose to read Mama Rock’s Rules for the March read. It is a great book on parenting tips, full of comedy, written by the comedian Chris Rock’s mother. My Rachel bought it for me a while ago and I am sorry to say that I still have not read it. Not that I don’t enjoy it, actually the complete opposite! I love everything she says and I want to be able to digest it all. Needless to say amidst all the moving and packing, and craziness the book got set down and never got picked back up….
Once I had time again to read I was not in the mood for ANYTHING!! I eventually picked up Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. Its not the best, or most appropriate but I was drawn in by the fiction of it all. Vampires exist, and have recently become legal members of society (main streaming). They survive off synthetic blood made in China. The main character, Sookie Stackhouse, a young naïve, old fashioned waitress falls in love with a vampire. Kinda silly I know but there was nothing to sad, to serious, to boring, it just was awesomely fictional! There are a couple of intimate sense which I just skipped over but other than that I had fun reading it!
And then here came April! I’m still feeling kinda blah and really had no desire to read anything. I kinda took the easy way out this month… or so I thought! I was very excited to support my local library seeing that I am in my home town and would not only need to get a library card for me, but could also get Lanycia her first library card!! What a better way to show support!! Once we had our cards in hand we headed over to the youth section. I had already decided that I would pick something short and easy for this month, but still had nothing in mind.
I went straight to the non-fiction section and found A Family From Iraq by John King. PERFECT! An easy non-fiction, a topic that Lany needs to hear about, with great pics so that Lany could have an idea of what “Iraq” was. It was published in 1998 so it does talk about Saddam Hussein, and the father in the book works for the Iraqi Army, but the book showed the individuals of the family and what they eat, where they sleep, work, and what they do for fun. I think everyone should read this to their children. It might help to visualize a positive for Iraq in such an uncomfortable time.
Lanycia and I both picked out a stack of fictions that I have been reading to the children at night but my favorite so far has been There’s No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (Cat In The Hat’s Learning Library) by Tish Rabe I totally want to but this book! It broke down the solar system in a fun, cat in the hat way! I also got Little House In The Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder. My Mom has the whole box set and I was interested but this one was missing. I have been reading it to Lanycia.
Now here’s when I really didn’t get off so easy. My ward in Hinesville started a book group! I really want to participate because I miss them so much! The first months book was already picked and it is Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. I of course had the privilege of returning to my library so that I could check it out. They had three copies, the first one was due May 07 and never returned, the second was returned with sever damage and the third was also returned with damage. I requested a copy from another Library and I am just waiting for the call. I am excited to read it mostly because this will be my first book group book where the titles a picked for me. I will let you know how it goes!

ANNIE

P.S. If you would like to write or send a care package, here is Ro’s address:
SSG William Y.R. Taylor
3rd Platoon
FOB Normandy
APO AE 09362

0 Comments: