Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lulu: My personal library & April read

Hello, everybody! (read that in Grover's voice)

I have quite a few books on my shelves that are unread. It makes me blush a little every time I look at my shelves--because I think about half of them (so about 250) are unread. So for my book choices this month, I decided to pick something from my own "library". (Add to this fact that I recently bought a book from Wal-mart and read it, wanting to finish and see the ending, but finished annoyed by its actual "meat". Total waste of time.)

I'm reading The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini). I wasn't sure if I was ready for it, but I read the first half-page and was immediately hooked. I'm in chapter four now and reading it aloud to Phill. Just these first 23 pages have really stuck with me. That is to say I'm still thinking about what I'm reading, even when I'm doing dishes or typing this or changing diapers or sitting still doing nothing. I think I'm in need of a book like that; I've been reading pretty light lit for a while and I probably need to ask more of myself. I like having books that have shaped who I am, at least in some way. Sometimes I'm just not brave enough to seek them out.

For my other book choice, I'm reading--well, finishing--The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio (Terry Ryan). I don't remember if I mentioned it (here) when I first started reading it a couple of months back. I was reading it aloud to Phill, we were both really enjoying it, we were halfway through, and then I stopped. I think life got in the way. It might have been December that I started. So now I'm finishing.

I'm also reading (in a reference, few-pages-at-a-time way) Parenting the Ephraim's Child: Characteristics, Capabilities, and Challenges of Children Who Are Intensely MORE (Deborah Talmadge and Jaime Theler). The title makes me laugh in a somewhat hysterical way. It is a book Abby has mentioned, and I've had another friend talk about it. I decided that I ought to give it a go, and I love what I've read so far.

0 Comments: