Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lynness: Non-fiction, interrupted

I enjoy the non-fiction books very well, when I find one that is
well-written and engrossing. If not, then I tend to let other books
take priority. I haven't posted this month because I read "Brother, I'm
Dying" by Edwidge Danticat, but then decided to read something else for
my 'real' read. I had enjoyed it but felt it was not really what I was
looking for in that it didn't give me helpful information on a current
issue. So I got several others. I got a couple of chapters into one
and felt it wasn't what I was looking for either. And all this time
I've been keeping up with PBS: Masterpiece Theater which is showing Jane
Austen movies. I've been watching them and then reading the books that
same week. I haven't watched or read Mansfield Park yet, but I read
Northanger Abbey (my least fav. so far) and Persuasion (I thought it was
pretty good, but the book better, and would like to see the A&E
version), and finally (at the recommendation of Abby and my sister
Kate), Twilight. I read the whole thing today. I don't know if I can
wait until February to read New Moon for my romance fiction (that may be
stretching the definition- Twilight was labeled "Horror" at my
library!) I did not expect Twilight to be such a page turner!
Anyway- the problem with non-fiction is finding one that fits what I
want and having so many fiction choices that are so tantalizing! I just
got a few more non-fictions yesterday: one about the electoral process
and one about immigrants... now that's it's the 28th, we'll see how far
I get....
My sister called me at 10:45 Sunday night just as I was getting
settled for the night to tell me about President Hinckley. After that I
was wide awake for a while, thinking and talking about it to Nathan.
Then I went down and re-did my seminary lesson plan- we talked about
Elijah and Elisha and the mantle and succession in the presidency. He
was the only Prophet all my students remember. The oldest was 5 when
President Hunter passed away. I saw that the?/an? Archbishop of the
Greek Orthodox Church died the same night. Maybe there's some
missionary dialogue happening there right now... I'd better get back to
my seminary lesson after putting it off all day to read Twilight. Love
to you all!

0 Comments: