Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Lynness- January read

I'm interested to find out what Mim has to say after her reading on global warming (and I don't know what it has to do with peace, either).  From what I've heard/read and can gather (which isn't much), there's scientists on both sides who think the evidence is in their favor and it seems to be more of a political issue than it is an environmental one.  I don't know what to think, so I'd be happy to hear more.  Maybe the "veil of stupidity" is kind of like Lehi's "mists of darkness" and is another one of Satan's tactics to confuse us.  But hey, as long as we pick a side and make it our 'religion' instead of focusing on the "weightier matters" then he's happy.  (This is a recurrent theme for me lately- we continually discuss the 1st two commandments in seminary, since the children of Israel had such a problem with them, and how people put other things and ideals before God today.)

My official read is still undetermined.  I reserved "Brother, I'm Dying" by Edwidge Danticat after looking up immigration in our library system (there were surprisingly very few to pick from other than How-To manuals for citizenship).  While waiting for the book to become available I picked up a pro-immigration book, an anti-immigration book, and a collection of essays on the subject.  This one I will definitely read: the author is a fiction writer and this is her family's story- it has intrigued me from the first page and moves very quickly.

While picking up my reserved book, I found (on the new non-fiction shelf) "The Holy Vote: The politics of faith in America" and "Nation of Secrets: The threat to democracy and the American way of life."  I plan to browse these and perhaps read one or both.

Happy reading...

PS- Lulu- as far as sleep issues go, I read once that Robert E. Lee said something to the effect of every hour of sleep before midnight is worth as much as 2 hours of sleep after midnight!  Goes along with "Early to bed and early to rise..."  For me, I can tell that it does make a difference if I only have 5-6 hours of sleep if they come earlier rather than later.  Don't know if this works with your schedule or not.  As fas as the baby sleeping... I have read in more than one baby sleep book that instead of feeding and then putting the baby to sleep, you should feed when the baby wakes from naps and have a little time cushion between the evening feeding and bedtime so that the baby does not become dependent on a full feeling or on actually eating in order to fall asleep and doesn't need the same to put herself back to sleep when she wakes in the middle of the night.  This worked with Isaiah; with Ruth sleep hasn't been as much of an issue as it was with him, so I'm not strict about it.

0 Comments: