Tuesday, August 28, 2007

From Mim/Mom: Sisterhood of the Panting Readers

Hello, Sisterhood of the Panting Readers! My September book is The Good Earth. I read it when Beccy was a baby so the story will be "new" for me. Actually it made a deep impression on me in 7th grade, and two impressions stayed with me: I began to learn what women have suffered in other cultures and times, compared to enlightened LDS women of our day, and I began to understand the oppressive nature of communism. Why do I want to go back to the book? And why am I not reading about Japan instead of China? Because I like Pearl Buck's narrative style and her insights into human nature (a favorite topic for me--what makes people tick), and I don't know of anything good she's written about Japan except The Hidden Flower, which didn't appeal when I looked it over. Does anyone know if it's good? Has she written more about Japan? It'll be fun to learn about the Pulitzer Prize (that's what The Good Earth won for her). I intend to look it up so I can judge, as I read, whether I'd have given Mrs. Buck that award.


Abby, I love the changes in our blog. As far as the colors and readability are concerned, you certainly wouldn't be asking for my opinion. It's all you birthday people who are getting older, needing boldface black-and-white large print. Who else could you be wondering about? Mim/Mom

0 Comments: