Saturday, August 25, 2007

Bookish Thots

I think August was a transition month for many of us...or at least a very busy one. A new baby, visiting grandchildren, violin lessons, kids starting school and entire families moving...including the Hinkles! Many thanks to Samantha for letting me use her laptop while I wait for my internet access to be set up next week. Even my own reading has slipped a little this month. I probably should have just chosen Harry Potter for our August read!

It warms my heart that each of my nieces mothers so well and so attentively. Though I haven't actually experienced the childbirth process, I do know somewhat of the mothering process and I know how demanding it can be. Kudos to all of you great women in each of your various stages of life.

Mim...you would so enjoy the usage class at BYU from Don Norton. His whole emphasis on writing and speaking is that we should be clear and concise in order to be well understood. Sometimes the rules actually get in the way of that. He is teaching me to re-think my entire mindset regarding the English language. We can be more free in our writing and speech, still follow some set rules, and communicate clearly with our own unique regionalisms. I'd love to talk to you about it all. It's just a boatload of fun...Of course, I haven't sent anything in for a month. I told him to not expect to hear from me until mid-September!

To all who enjoyed the Potter phenomenon...I'm kind of glad it's over and we can move on to other enjoyable reading endeavors! Duran called me yesterday to ask about Beowulf (no...that won't be September's read). Apparently, some sort of movie is being made with that as the subject and Duran wanted to know what it was all about. I had to confess that I have never read it...and don't intend to! But I guess it's good that the media is trying to utilize great books. Hopefully more people will be encouraged to read.

My August read has been very enjoyable. It's about a teacher in California who really creates an environment for learning in his classroom...unlike most classrooms...and has great success. He emphasizes civility and respect. He makes learning math and English fun with silly games and Shakespeare plays. And most of his students are low-income children. I recommend the book to anyone interesting in teaching or learning. I'm willing to send it on to anyone interested.

Lulu...your post on your own blog re Gpa and Gma was most lovely. We were there yesterday for lunch and sometimes I do wonder if Gma knows who I am. Most of the time she does. Gpa takes extremely good care of her and is most solicitous to her needs. I too am amazed at their almost sixty years together! But I think they have moved into the eternal realm with their relationship and simply don't count the years. They will surely be together forever. What a beautiful gift that is from our Savior. Thanks for your sweet post.

I will post the September read in a separate post.

Happy reading!

0 Comments: