Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Lynness: biographies

I wasn't sure who I wanted to read about, so I just browsed at the library a bit.  (For some reason, I'm hyper-aware that the first phrase of that sentence is so wrong, grammatically, but saying "I wasn't sure about whom I wanted to read" sound too stiff.)  I ended up taking home a few books I couldn't get into, but I also brought home and enjoyed a ?middle-school? grade level book about the Candy Bomber (and realized he was LDS and lives in Utah) and a book called The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind about a young teen in Malawi who was forced to drop out of school for economic reasons but, aided by some textbooks he found at a small donated library, built windmills from junkyard scraps to power lights and eventually water pumps for his family's home.  This is not something that happened decades ago- he's only 22 or 23 now.  I really enjoyed his story.  Check him out on Wikipedia.

0 Comments: