Wednesday, April 28, 2010

March and April

There are a couple of books that I read as a youth that immediately came to mind for March's read. Island Of The Blue Dolphin, by Scott O'Dell, being the first. Once it was available I checked it out from the library but never really got into it. I returned it on the next visit. Others on my mind were Go Ask Alice, which I would have read, I'm sure not finding the same outcome from the first time. I was about 14, or 15. I stayed up ALL NIGHT, read the entire book, and my Rae didn't make me go to school the next day. My mind was so blown!! :) A couple of Goosebumps, and Gooseflumps crossed my mind, but knew that they probably would NOT hold my interest now hahaha. BUT... when I was 15 I read Where Are The Children, by Mary Higgins Clark. I have always remembered how SCARED I was as I read this book. The first "adult" book, I had ever read. I had no intentions on re-reading it, until one afternoon, THERE IT WAS!!! On the swap shelf at our library! I gasped out loud, held it for a moment, and placed it into my bag! It was such a quick easy read this time ;D I don't know if I enjoyed it the same as I did then, but it was still a good suspense, which is probably my favorite type of genre for both movies and books!! I also learned that Where Are The Children was Clark's first suspense. That did intrigue me!! :) I own a couple more by her, and look forward to reading them!

Aprils Read's I cheated a listened to some more audio books! :)
Fahrenheit 451 which I only read because of the reviews I saw others give it. BUT!! I loved it! I was barely in chapter 5 when I called Chela and told her she HAD to read it! I loved the end! The idea that WE ARE BOOKS. We carry with us what we learn and know! That the men had memorized sections, and could be recalled mentally when the time was right!! Strange but SSOOOO enjoyable!! I also listened to Sidney Poitier's The Measure Of A Man. My desire to read this comes from my crazy want to read all the books Oprah has picked. (Don't ask me why!!) BUT i loved this book! It was performed by Poitier, and just like his work on the screen he drew me in! I love him :) want to know him! Want to see all his films, and actually rented some from the library. Lillie's Of The Field, with which he became the first Black American to receive the Academy Award for Best Actor! And Guess Who's Coming To Dinner. Prior to the book I had no connection with this actor/man, but after reading his Autobiography I would love to see more of his work!!!

At the end of Measure Of A Man's recording, the Harper Books people suggested "thinking of the little ones around you" as far as listening to audio books. So... today at the library I did just that! I checked out Junie B. Jones (Ive never read these!) CD Edition: Books 1-8;..The Stupid Smelly Bus, ..a Little Monkey Business, .. Her Big Fat Mouth, .. Some Sneeky Peeky Spying, .. the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake, ..That Meanie Jim's Birthday, .. Loves Handsom Warren, .. a Monster Under Her Bed. We will be listening to these books in the car, just as before. Both Lany and I enjoyed it this afternoon. I think they are funny, and I am excited to be listening with her!

I am looking forward to May's topic, but really want to FINISH the books that Ive started: The Dream Giver, The Secret (a re-read), Catch Me If You Can, Spiderwick (to L&L), Desires Captive (hahahahaha awesome!! My first Harlequin, I picked a couple up for my April read :D), A is For Alibi, and A Journal For Jordan (the winner as far as length on my night stand!!!), also just picked up A Light In The Attic today. The children LOVE Falling Up, so I'm VERY excited to get this one started!!

xoxo

0 Comments: