Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lynness: I am such a nerd

I think this blog has contracted the RSL plague.  (Relief Society Leadership)  Rae became a RS pres.  Now I am, and Becky's in a RS presidency.  So yes, I've been busy and haven't been reading as much, but I reserved some books today (too many, probably) and saw a bit of a pattern...

"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" (about the woman whose cells were taken- illegally- and cultured for research and opened the age of modern medicine)
"Blackout"- part one of the latest story by Connie Willis- most of whose books I have thoroughly enjoyed, especially "Passage", which I re-read recently for at least the 4th time
"The 4 Percent Universe" (about dark matter, etc)
"101 Theory Drive" (how memory works, supposedly)
"The Art of Immersion" (how electronic media is changing storytelling, from the movies to advertising)
"Promised Land" (another Connie Willis to try out)

All science fiction or science (hard and soft) non-fiction.  And the two books I got from the library before this?  Both about chemistry- one "The Disappearing Spoon" about the elements and the periodic table, and the other, "Napoleon's Buttons", about molecules (such as sugar, silk, pepper and rubber) have influenced the course of history.
Definitely nerdy.

1 Comment:

Qait said...

I love being nerdy. :)

I've had so much fun "geeking out" about the book 1491 by Charles C. Mann-- I'd recommend it to anyone! I haven't finished it yet. Michael read it first and shared tons of what he was learning, and I'm still enjoying it after he's told me so much from it.

As for this RSL plague? Whoa, count me out! I've even heard of someone being issued that calling in the hospital room with her day old baby! She was young. She had other young children. She lived in a place where lots of other ladies could have been options. It's like the ultimate Mormon Horror Story... Yikes! ;)

Okay, I'm kidding just a little bit (a little bit). About it being a horror story, anyway. The story itself is true.