Monday, October 26, 2009

Book Suggestions needed and read-alouds we've read and will be reading

Ladies, I need some book suggestions if you have some. :D

Autumn reads very well but isn't really a bookworm. I know not everyone loves to read but part of me feels that's just because they haven't found the kind of books that "speak" to them! Is that a romantic/idealistic view or is it possible for everyone to LOVE reading?

She reads what she's required to read for school but other than that she doesn't usually choose reading over the other activities she has available in a day. If she has a Scooby Doo or Magic Treehouse book, she'll read that without my encouragement. And lately she likes re-reading some of the Roald Dahl books we've read. I read The BFG to her a long time ago and then Maddie read it to her this summer again. We found it at the library last week and she's re-reading it on her own. She did something similar with The Witches. I have no shortage of ideas for read-alouds for her and Heidi, but as far as reading on her own, I'm just having trouble finding things that are interesting to her!

In the world of read-alouds, we are reading Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. Surprisingly (to me), they make for great read-aloud material. Both Autumn & Heidi are enjoying them. I have read them all before. We are starting book six tonight. Almost halfway through the series! I am excited to be done with the series so that we can move on to other exciting books. I read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe to them a few years ago and they loved it, but now that they're older we're going to do it again and read the whole series. And I'm wanting to read Harry Potter to them but still undecided as to when I want to do that. Once I start, I don't want to stop and take a break and I think there's quite a jump in maturity level/scary stuff from book 3 to book 4. I'm also trying to decide if I should just wait on HP and let them discover it on their own. I guess if I do read it aloud, I can be pretty sure they'll read it on their own later - as evidenced by the way Autumn has been with the Dahl books.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

1 Comment:

Qait said...

Yes, I do have comments and suggestions.
It could just be her age so far, Abby. Maybe she'll find books more interesting when toys begin to lose their excitement?
Anyway, she must love rereading those books because she has good memories of them being read aloud to her! I know I feel like that about tons of books!
And maybe it's a social thing, like she just prefers to be more "present" with everyone than reading, you know?
I like to imagine everyone could love reading if they just found the right book, but I'm not sure it's really like that. If Autumn sees you and Eric read a lot, she might start to want to read more. But anyway, don't feel bad if it's not her favorite thing to do. Especially since she's good at it.