Thursday, June 11, 2009

Lynness- Raising a reader

We had an enrichment this past week about raising great readers and
I just finished Jim Trelease's "Hey, Listen to This" (I am currently on
the wait list for his "Read Aloud Handbook," which has been recommended
to me more than once). I got some ideas for books I'd like to read with
Isaiah or even just for myself- some of them classics (albeit children's
classics) that I have never read, so maybe that would work for this
month's reading assignment.

Anyway, I think I've succeeded there. (Actually, the enrichment
turned out to be a 'preaching to the choir' kind of meeting, as it
usually does...) Isaiah's teacher let him bring home "Henry and the
Clubhouse" with the understanding that he bring it back. The last day
of school is tomorrow, so I guess she knows him pretty well- he started
it today at school and finished it here at home. Then he proceeded to
read the first 5 chapters of Edward Eager's "Half Magic" and then left
it (face down, opened to his page) to pick up "Henry and Beezus" from
our shelves and read some in that. Here's a picture of him engrossed in
"Half Magic."

He's becoming like me- a fast reader, oblivious to the world when in
a book. The only problem is that other kids (especially on the bus)
have called him a nerd. My high school was for "gifted and talented
students" from 16 counties and sometimes I wonder if it was worth the
extra time and stress, but one of the biggest positives about it was
that EVERYONE was a nerd to some degree, and it seemed that everyone was
well-read or liked to read. I heard a disturbing tidbit the other day
(not sure where or if the number is right, but it was a high
percentage)- it was that something like 75% of people never read another
complete book on their own after high school. Who knows if it's
accurate, but it's appalling, so I hope not! I'm glad we have the book
blog and that so many people in this wonderful family I married into are
avid readers.

0 Comments: