Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Lulu: Books past, present, and future

I've wanted to know more about Emma, myself. Liz, I have a bookmark with a painting by (I think) Liz Lemon Swindle, and it's Joseph holding the twins. That story and that painting always bring out some of my strongest emotions. Maybe I'll read one of Aunt Rae's suggestions.

I'm excited about the genres for these reads because fantasy and science-fiction are definitely not the first ones I pull off the shelves! They're....the last. I went to the library today and asked one of the librarians what he would suggest to someone trying out science fiction or fantasy. He had a few suggestions, and mentioned that that's almost all he reads, and then another librarian gave me her suggestions, and they were both quietly excited and helping me peruse the shelves for their suggestions. We put in a request for Ender's Game, a book Kate recommended (and obviously, one she and Michael love!), and also a request for The Host, which I will probably not get for another month. And....what else.....oh, something they recommended. Can't remember. Ultimately, the only two books I actually came home with were Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury (Rae, didn't Bradbury write some short stories? I seem to remember loving something by him....it might have been someone else, though.) and the first three Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich (which the librarian suggested when I told her I loved suspense and mysteries).

When my dad visited, aside from bringing his cheery spirit and smiling face, he brought several "goodies". Among those was the book The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words or Less (Terry Ryan). My mom and Abby both had glowing reviews, and Liz, didn't you enjoy it, too? Well, anyway, I have been reading it aloud to Phill at night after the kids are in bed. We're halfway through (after only two nights reading) and we both love it! I highly recommend it. It's a fast read, too. Oh, and Rae, we so enjoyed that DVD slideshow of your Japan visit. What beautiful photos of an incredibly beautiful place! Is there a particular book you would recommend me to read about Japanese culture or history?

I also just finished a book that I loved, called Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!. I loved this book, and I was sad when it was done!! It's by Fannie Flagg, the author of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, which I plan to read next. After my six other books waiting in line, of course. :)

0 Comments: