Monday, June 16, 2008

Lynness: School's out

Well, today was the first official day of summer break.  It started out well: we read chapter one of this month's read: Babe, the Gallant Pig.  Isaiah enjoyed that and is looking forward to the next installment.  Then we had breakfast and did school (we're kind of trying out homeschool for the summer).  We got Nathan the 30th Anniversary Schoolhouse Rock DVD for his birthday (thanks for the idea, Abby) and Isaiah enjoys the grammar rock and we've also been doing a lot of Mad Libs lately, so our lesson was on verbs.  That went well, as did his reading to me (his pick for the day: chapter one of Junie B. Jones, First Grader at Last).  The main problem was that throughout the rest of the day he argued about wanting to go to the pool or have friends over or not wanting to go to Costco or having to do chores.  He seems to think that my duty is to provide him with an adventure every day- or at least a trip to the pool/park/fountains/museum/etc., and doesn't seem to realize that just because he's off, it doesn't mean I'm off. (Well, I am from seminary, for 3 months!)  If we were within walking distance to a park or to anybody's house I was comfortable letting him play at, it would be a little different.   My patience is already wearing thin.  This is why, as much as I love to teach, I don't think I will be homeschooling during the school year: I would go nuts if I had to be with my kids 24/7.  They need a break from me, and I need a break from them!  That sounds awful, I know, but I really don't enjoy playing with him most of the time, and, being that it was just he and I for 5 years, he expects me to be his playmate all the time!  (We're working on trying to make sure there's not 5 years between Ruth and the next one- I don't want to be doing tea parties or Barbies for years- but, as we have seen, we don't seem to be in charge of that).  Now Ruth is getting more fun for him to play with, but she's only one and not so much fun and she gets in his way and usually after about 5 minutes of playing without supervision she's crying and he always claims he doesn't know why. 
Anyway....I'm not really venting, I just know it's going to take some adjusting for Isaiah and I.  And he is soooo persistent.  I think the morning reading- just a few minutes with the two of us before Ruth wakes up- will be good for the both of us.  So we'll keep it up, even after this month's read is over.

0 Comments: