Monday, March 10, 2008

Rae: Time, Reading and Christ-centered Living

Lynness, I appreciate your question and have battled with that issue myself over the years. For what it's worth, here is my rapid response. I still struggle with the question at times, but I have reached some resolution as I have aged that works for me. First of all, I feel like my thirst for knowledge (which often is fulfilled through books) is something inherent in my personality. I brought it with me. It is even mentioned in my patriarchal blessing...by a man who knew nothing about me other than who my parents were. He specifically counselled me to seek knowledge through good books, enjoy good music and find choice companions. And he told me that I would find joy in doing so. So, the way I look at it the reading can't be all bad! I am always amazed when I hear of people whose parents made them go do something different when they were reading...like going outside to play, for instance. I am so glad my parents never made me feel guilty about reading.

I also try to remember that we are commanded in the D&C to learn all kinds of things (Section 88 I think) and that reading is an excellent way to learn...whether it is facts and figures or human relationships and behavior. So obviously, we know we are supposed to learn in some way. I'm like you in that I can't focus on the scriptures and Ensign and those types of things all of the time. I think it matters though that we do focus on those things for at least a small portion of each day. I like how Sis Beck explained it in her RS talk last fall...she listed things that really matter and must take priority...in fact, I'm going to find it and read it again.

When I worked at the library, I was like a kid in a candy shop. I read (and watched) everything without making very many choices as to quality and content. I rationalized it well by convincing myself that I needed to be aware of all those things so that I could advise the patrons who came in for material. And I was often sought out for my opinion. But I have to admit that much of what I spent my time on wasn't really worth that time. If I have made any progress in the area, it has been that I now really try to make good/better/best choices and know why I want to spend my time with the book or author. I never used to not finish books. Now, I give it about 50 pages and if I don't feel like it's worth my time then I quit reading and move on. So I have improved, I suppose.

I remember a quote by Sheri Dew (I had it on my bathroom mirror for years) about women of Christ no longer having time to devote their energies to anything that does not bring them to Him. I think the critical thing...and maybe what you are wrestling with...is what kinds of things actually bring us to Him? Why do we tend to think that our discovery of temporal knowledge doesn't bring us to Him when we are actually commanded to seek after those things? As mothers of little children, we do lots of things with/for them (diapers, cleaning up after, bathing, etc) that are often tedious and boring. But in serving them and teaching them even at those times, aren't we being brought to Christ in some way? Do you see what I am trying to get at? That much of what we do on a daily basis actually brings us to Christ in a particular way and we often don't even realize it?

For me, what matters is my intent. I know when I am being lazy and selfish and just want to read to escape. I know when I am using reading as an excuse to not do something else (like homework). And I know that we can include many other daily and worldly activities in the same category. Does watching the news bring me to Christ? How about playing a game? Is it worthwhile time or a waste of time? If I spend all day on the computer playing games and neglect the weighty matters that day, obviously I have missed out on opportunities to become closer to Christ that day. Each of us are different and we have to examine our own hearts and figure out where we are in this area.

I think if we are trying our best to not neglect the important things that we know do bring us closer to Him, then we can rest assured that He will allow us the time we need to seek after virtuous things...including our reading. For me, the thrust has been trying to make better choices in what I read and also trying to continually read by the Spirit...I've had the Spirit testify to me so many times of truth and error in my reading...and I love that feeling.

I also try to observe the "Brethren" and their wives and how they live their lives. Even the prophets and apostles find time for quality reading...and much of it is secular in subject matter. I love to read about their lives and discover their tastes in reading and recreation. I figure if they include reading in their leisure time then so can I.

The upshot of this really long post is that I don't think we should stress about this too much or punish ourselves needlessly when our hearts are in the right place and we are trying to do our best and use our time wisely. [And my use of time (as well as its supposed value) will be different than yours!] If we aren't doing our best or really are ignoring those weighty things, and we know it, then we probably should make changes in our daily routines. So,

Happy reading!

0 Comments: