Saturday, February 9, 2008

Lynness: Books and more books and politics

Ok, this might be long.  I think all this started coalescing in my mind when I heard that Mitt Romney was dropping out of the presidential race.  I wasn’t sure yet who I was going to vote for this coming Tuesday, and I didn’t agree with all of his stances, but I still would’ve liked to have the option open.  I guess (hope) that it will make my choice that much easier.  Why do I bring this up in the book blog?  The January assignment was one I was interested in pursuing, but it has been a lot harder to follow through with than I had anticipated.  Not for lack of trying (and I still am- I checked out two more books to try).  But let me back up.  A few weeks ago I found a website that asks multiple choice questions on current election issues and lets you weight them as to importance.  My best match candidate was not Mitt Romney, as I was kind of expecting it might be.  The website let me see where I disagreed and let me explore other candidates' opinions on the topic.  One of the survey questions asked my opinion on amending the Constitution to define marriage as between a man and a woman.  It was a simple “yes” or “no” and the answer was quite clear to me.  (For a long, but very thorough and excellent explanation on the Church’s position on homosexuality and the need for an amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman, see this interview with Elder Oaks).  But part of my trouble wass that for other issues there were as many options (or more) as there were candidates and, to me, one option sounded as good (or bad) as another.  I don’t know enough about education to know what the best course of action is.  I think I can eliminate the answer that says we should dissolve the Department of Education and let parents have full control over their children’s education.  Though I am a homeschool supporter, there are too many irresponsible parents out there to have no public education system.  But what about all the other options?  Would any of them really work?  I wanted some books that would help me understand some of the current issues- especially immigration and the electoral process in general.  I found plenty of books and tried several.  The problem I found is that the books are extremely good at getting one thing across: their point of view.  It is difficult to find one that gives any real attention and discussion to multiple perspectives.  I know how I feel and could find many books to back me up, but I also know that I feel this way in ignorance.  I want to make an educated decision.  At the same time, I don't want to waste my time reading things that oppose (and even bash) my viewpoints just for enlightenment.  I want something that gives me individual expertise and experience from diverse facets of the same issue.  And trying to get that while also trying to figure out which candidate best represents the majority (since none will be exactly like me) of what I have determined while also trying to figure out if they really mean it and will stick to it in office makes me want to just get it bed until it's over!  Maybe it's cynicism, maybe it's experience, but I have little faith that campaign promises- designed to attract people by telling them what they think they want to hear- will make much difference once the candidate is the President.
    I have learned a few things from the books I have read.  I know what I feel about immigration (whether it is plausible or would make the slightest dent in the problem, I don't know).  I will not share that here, but I will share that one of my books has opened my eyes a little to what Mexican immigration to the US does to Mexico, especially its small villages.  I plan to continue to try to wade through the junk and the extremists to find the accurate and the balanced and educate myself.  I've got until the Virginia primary this Tuesday!  After that it's just Republican vs. Democrat, and though I hate to be partisan and I'm not registered as either, marriage and abortion issues trump the war, education, immigration, etc..

0 Comments: