Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Raehink: Eclectic Recommendations

The Help is also on my list of recommended titles. I thought it was fantastic, although some black scholars have criticized its white author. You just can't win, I guess. I too am looking forward to the movie - one of these days...


Qait - I know you enjoy nonfiction - if you liked The Help then you might like The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. It's about the massive black migration from the South to the North after Reconstruction. It's incredibly well-written and made me really feel my own history (even though I wasn't around). I highly recommend it to anyone interested in that period of history.

I loved Ella Minnow Pea and have his newest book on my to-read list (the title escapes me at the moment). I also have Just My Type in the house to read as well. I absolutely LOVED my first reading of the new RS history book. My counselors are reading it now and we also discussed using it for our 1st Sunday lessons next year. Good minds thinking alike, Lynness!

I am halfway through Anne Patchett's State of Wonder and am really enjoying her writing as well as her plot. Hope it maintains my interest all the way to the end. I have also read the first two Alan Bradley mysteries starring Flavia de Luce. She is an eleven-year-old delight! If you enjoy mysteries, I recommend Bradley's series. Another recent set of mysteries is set in post-World War One England and stars Maisie Dobbs, a former war nurse. The author is Jacqueline Winspear.

I also read a Steve Berry book but was less than impressed. Read an old title for youth called House of Stairs. It's a psychological thriller written back in 1974 or so. Quite remarkable for its day. Last but not least, I will recommend another nonfiction title: The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction by Alan Jacobs. It will make you feel good about reading at all :)

Love to all of you...and Happy Reading!

0 Comments: