Monday, September 19, 2011

Q- The Help

Have any of you read The Help by Kathryn Stockett? If not, you're so missing out!!! I LOVED it.
I love books full of such real characters, people you feel like you've either known or would love to know.
I also really enjoyed the subject matter; this woman Skeeter is told to write about what bothers her, and the same things would bother me! At the same time, I feel like I understand better...
The book centers on Jackson, Mississippi in the 60s, when many (MANY) black women were maids for white families. I've always hoped I would never treat a black person unkindly, and while I still have the same hope, I think I'm humbled to the point that I can admit if I had lived at that time, I would have been very affected by society and rather ignorant about my White ways.
(Of course, I still feel sure I wouldn't be despicable like some women in the book).

So! I LOVED this book. So much. As always, there's no way the movie will be as good (you just can't fit all of that in, and the book goes into the women's minds the way a movie can't). But I'm really excited to see it some time!

love, Q

0 Comments: