Tuesday, March 31, 2009

March read

    I read The Scarlet Pimpernel as intended.  It wasn't stellar, and there were some corny parts, but it was still enjoyable.  Afterward Nathan and I watched the A&E version of the movie.  I had hoped it would stick to the book, but it only did in the most basic and broad ways- we didn't really enjoy it that much.
    I wonder what people thought of a Baroness writing novels.  Did it make a sensation?  Was it just for enjoyment, or did she have to supplement their inheritance/income?

Rae- I haven't read any of Michael Pollan's other books, but I checked one out last month and still haven't had time to read it.
    I tried reading the Professor and the Madman once upon a time, thinking it would be right up my alley, but I just couldn't seem to get into it.  I don't remember why.  And, possibly, it wasn't even the book itself- I may have just had too much going on.  Maybe I'll have to give it another try.
    I still have my dissection book (we used Clemente's, not Grey's, since it lent itself better to doing the actual dissection and preparation of cadavers for others to learn from, which was the whole point of the class)- it still has stains on it and smells like formalin.  I just look at it and think how much I used to know!!

0 Comments: