Saturday, May 10, 2008

Lynness Re: Beans, Beans the magical fruit

I, too, have been working on integrating beans into our diet, and have
enjoyed some success. The biggest problem I have encountered is the
TIME factor needed for dried beans- you usually can't wait until 5pm to
decide what's for dinner at 6 (like I do) unless they're canned beans.
So, after suggestions from my ward food storage gurus, I decided to
precook and freeze portions of beans. This sounded like a great idea to
me, but I just hadn't gotten around to it. I decided to go for it after
reading Rae's post and opened a mylar pouch of black beans from my food
storage. And then I put the WHOLE thing in to soak. This morning I
realized just how many beans I had to cook. I had 5 POTS worth- 2 of
them being large, oblong crock-pot types!!!! I am putting them in
quart-sized freezer bags to be thawed when needed. I think it will
really work well- though next time I probably won't do 5+ pounds for
dried beans at a time!!

I've never really been too fond of the idea of spending a whole day
making meals to freeze and take out- I don't want to take a whole day to
cook, and I don't care for many of the meals that freeze well. BUT
(since I'm a 30 minute or less dinner prep kind of person who make
scratch meals almost every day) I do buy bulk ground beef and cook it up
and freeze it in 1lb portions. If we want super nachos, or chili, or
tacos all I have to do is pull out a pack of ground beef and warm it up
while I chop produce or open cans and dinner is ready in about 5 minutes!

0 Comments: