Sunday, November 25, 2007

Rae: Foreign Earthiness and December

My book for November, The Shadow of the Wind, was an earthy and suspenseful gothic novel set in post-war Barcelona. The author, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, is a native Spaniard. He used the technique of parallel plots in the narrator's life and the mystery he was trying to solve. It all starts when the narrator's father takes him to a secret library where a keeper maintains a collection of lost books. The narrator (a ten-year-old) is allowed to choose one and to take very good care of it. He selects The Shadow of the Wind and is enthralled by it. He discovers, while trying to find more to read by the same author, that someone is tracking down all of the author's books and is destroying every copy. The question is why?


Like Lynness and her Umberto Eco title, I found this one full of earthiness and sensual description. Not smutty but full of senses--taste, smell, sound, touch, etc. I never felt like any of the description was gratuituous (in the way it so often is in American writing) or offensive. It seemed very natural and integral to the scene or character. I have noticed that many Spanish and Latino writers use that sensual earthiness to describe and broaden their characters. I was intrigued by Zafon's many specific descriptions of the city of Barcelona. It was almost as if the city was a character in the story also. I enjoyed the book very much and wouldn't mind reading some more by him. As with Umberto Eco, though, I suspect that not everyone would enjoy this author's writing.


This particular title was translated by Lucia Graves, who is Robert Graves' daughter. Graves (the father) wrote I, Claudius and was also known for his reinterpretations of Greek mythology. I remember how much Matt loved I, Claudius. Matt is one of the few people I know who actually read the book and watched the whole series on PBS! I enjoy finding little connections like that which make me happy...

Now...on to December. We are wishing for snow here in Payson. The holiday lights are up in the city. The temperatures have dropped to below freezing. BYU has beaten Utah. Fat Christmas geese will soon be here. We will all be busy enjoying the sights and sounds and feelings of the season. Wherever we are. Recognizing that, this month will be a "Reader's Choice" affair. You may choose non-fiction OR fiction. A title you've not read before. Your choice. Enjoy. Report back.

Happy reading!

0 Comments: